new user: no audio from speakers

Richard Dobson richarddobson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 17:08:59 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to get into my new B4, and have an immediate audio challenge:

before updating the firmwave there was no sound out at all.

After updating, I got the startup jingle from the speakers (good) but
still no sound from tamtam (bad).

After tinkering with "amixer", turning on just about everything that is
an output, I now get good audio from the headphone socket, but still
nothing goes to the speaker (apart from the aforesaid bootup jingle,
which at least shows the speakers are working in principle).

It would not surprise me if there is not some well-known trick to waking
up the speakers, but I have not so far found it. Can anyone advise? I
can't really demonstrate the machine at Bath Spa Uni without sounds from
the speakers!

On a related question:

I cannot set real-time output when running csound from the console using
-o devaudio: gives error "unknown rtaudio module: 'PortAudio' ".
Surprised this is not already installed with Csound.  I have set
OPCODEDIR to /usr/lib/csound/plugins. Do I have to install portaudio
separately? from where?

Richard Dobson