New manufacturing data flags for keyboards (2nd draft).

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Mon Oct 8 15:09:04 EDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Ideally the firmware would allow changing certain things without
> > being unlocked. (everything that doesn't help break anti-theft)
>
> Could be: we can add a UI for modification of these strings later if it
> happens often enough in the field to be worth it.

We already have this: the "secure boot" capability will happily launch
signed olpc.fth scripts  (although with some issues, see trac bug
#3582.)  We can easily generate and distributed signed "images" which
will alter some mfg-data property, run diagnostics, or even generate
simple UI.  Of course, these will need to be carefully audited to
ensure they are secure; also see trac #4101.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )