mesh driver in ubuntu

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 08:03:27 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 07:49 +1000, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos <ypod at mit.edu> wrote:
> > I have Ubuntu 7.04 with 2.6.20-16 and want to use the 8388 USB module
> > with my system. I guess I either need to jump to 2.6.22, or compile the
> > driver for 2.6.20. I would prefer the second as the upstream version of
> > the driver does not come with all the features I need. So, do I just get
> > the driver and compile it? Any directions on the wiki?
>
> I got the USB module working with the stock Ubuntu Gutsy kernel.
>
> I'm not sure if it was necessary, but as the md5 of the ubuntu
> usb8388.bin didn't match anything I could find, I updated with the
> firmware from a recent OLPC build.
>
> copy xo:/lib/firmware/usb8388.bin to ubuntu:/lib/firmware/'uname
> -r'/usb8388.bin, plug in your USB dongle, you should be good to go.

They may be using the older usb8388 firmware from last summer that you
can download directly from the Marvell site.

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=160&pId=38

Marvell posted 5.110.17.p2 firmware in august.  Also, any firmware that
OLPC makes available may be redistributed by others (like distros)
without needing any permission or anything from Marvell (thanks to
blizzard & marvell for working this out).

dan