oddball video modes (was: Sugar's fonts)

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 00:39:36 EDT 2007

Yuan Chao writes:

> mono with backlit: (set /sys/devices/platform/dcon/output to 1)
> http://picasaweb.google.com/yuanchao/OLPC/photo#5098213261362528386
> (I think this mode is quite useful if a hot-key can trigger it in
> ebook reader)

Yuan Chao is about the 5th person to want oddball modes.
Having so many people ask is justification by itself.

Suggested behavior:

The user sets a default brightness. Activities can set an X property
to override this. Switching between activities switches the brightness
as needed.

Based on the current brightness (default or activity-specific),
a default for the swizzling/blurring/mono bits is generated.
(normal mono if backlight off, otherwise normal color)

Activities can set an X property to override this as well.
Switching between activities switches the mode bits as needed.
All bit patterns should be available.