WSJ

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Nov 30 16:17:16 EST 2007

  Thank you, Mike,

> That said, activities which use the high-level components only might be
> able to be ported just by rewriting the Sugar APIs with a Win32
> compatibility layer a port of Telepathy and a bit of bailing wire.  That
> might let children communicate and access the materials... but that
> would be a fairly involved project, and I don't know if we'd find all
> that many Win32 developers interested in attempting it.

  That would be useful for longer term.  TamTam on Windows would be
cool so you can jam with a Windows user over the net, for example.

> >   And, I see that one of the biggest downside of our software is that
> > kids cannot participate the software development effort from their
> > laptops (except...).  If we are to look at different platforms, it is
> > nice to think about easy support of on-laptop-development.  I don't
> > care if it is on Windows or Mac OS; on top of Windows (or Mac OS), you
> > as an end-user can still do a lot.  (Basically the same argument in
> > "filtered Internet access is better than no Internet access".)
> >
> Yes, we really need to get "Develop" development un-stuck.  We currently
> have only Pippy (which doesn't do files) and the Squeak IDE available
> on-machine.  We need that full Python IDE available for the children
> ASAP.  After all, we've got a whole key on the keyboard devoted to it.
> Even if the IDE is just file-open/close/create, file-tabs and syntax
> highlighting it would be sufficient to start programming on-machine.

  Yes.  Maybe a Python IDE in Squeak is not a so bad idea.

  At some time soon, somebody in Etoys/Smalltalk community need to
write up how to start Smalltalk programming on XO, such as making
writable copies of etoys.image and etoys.changes to a directory and
turn "eToyFriendly" preference off, etc.  (Ah, that is almost it^^;)

-- Yoshiki