Active activities as Widgets

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 13:59:22 EST 2007

Ar 30/11/2007 am 10:25, ysgrifennodd Eben Eliason:
> > I have been reviewing the code in the chat application and given the
> > abilities of the dbus do not feel that text messages will add all that
> > much complexity to the application. My original query was not as much
> > having a chat window in my activity but more of a Delphi like component
> > that I could drop into the buddy panel weld into my existing tubes and
> > be done with chat.
>
> This, I do believe is probably a fantastic thing to work on.  What we
> really need in cases like this is, as you say, a chat widget that is
> based on the chat activity, having the same look, feel, options, etc.
> Just as we have an Abiword widget for text which can be used anywhere
> we should adopt a standard chat widget that can be designed and
> maintained by OLPC, so that the experience is always consistent and
> any fixes or improvements are automatically seen within any activity
> that makes use of it.
>
> Do those working on Chat see this as a viable possibility?

I don't see any reason why not.

Do you envision this as something that might be enabled in every activity
automatically, or something that each activity would integrate manually? The
former might mean that the chatting UI would be more consistent, but perhaps
allows for less flexibility in integrating with different styles of activity
UI.

(Shared activities are built on top of chat rooms, so there's already a way
for all the participants to send messages to each other.)

--
Dafydd