Active activities as Widgets

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 08:29:34 EST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 at 07:51:38 -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
> I'm not sure that a multi-way video conference is even
> feasible yet.

It's certainly not in the short term - the Telepathy and Farsight frameworks,
and the underlying protocols they currently use (Jingle), only support 1-1
audio/video calls at this point, and we'd need a lot of API and protocol
design work to even start on this.

Whenever we've talked about video-conferencing in the office, our VoIP
people's opinion has been that in practice we'd probably also need a (fairly
hefty) server to multiplex the streams for us, which doesn't work so well in
the OLPC use-case anyway.

(disclaimer: I might be wrong, opinions might have changed; I'm not a
VoIP hacker myself)

    Simon