Active activities as Widgets

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Nov 29 13:57:55 EST 2007

  Gerard,

> Yoshi, I think full OLE would be very limited by the hardware. <sniff> I
> have no hardware,
> I have experience with an older generation geode on the Jhai PC project
> without the video
> sub-processor, and find in many cases, the geode is the little chip that
> could, but full
> multi media documents running multiple renderers seems out of the
> resources' reach even
> to this geode fan.

  Well, I know that I can make a user document with a running movie
clip, real time view-finder of camera, spectrum analysis of audio
input, and a user-scripted simulation going at the same time
on B4 (4-5 fps is not so great though).

  These widgets are running in the same address space but that is
offset by some facts such as Etoys display model is not optimal, our
code for playing movie, copying bits of video frames to make the
player a real end-user scriptable object, FFT are not optimized, etc.
It should be possible to provide an ok experience for most of the time
and I was not talking unrealistic rant, I believe.

-- Yoshiki