Patent infringement lawsuit against OLPC in Nigeria

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Tue Nov 27 19:38:30 EST 2007

> Subject: Re: Patent infringement lawsuit against OLPC in Nigeria
>
> Call me too wary, but discussing these things in the open on the
> developer's list may provide information that lawyers may further find
> as fodder.....

I imagine that if the XO is in violation, a lot of other products
(hardware and software) are also in violation.  Shift keys are modifiers,
yes - they help you make Big Letters.  The case sounds fairly ridiculous;
folks've had some form of AltGr, or Meta, or Mode key since... vt100
terminals?  A blasted long time.

I also imagine that the folks who might be able to clear this up quickly
and swiftly (for us) are constrained from saying much about it on the
lists - their facts need to get funneled back through legal counsel, so
that folks opining don't get interpreted as speaking for the project as a
whole.

--elijah