WSJ

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Nov 26 23:39:35 EST 2007

  Mike,

> but if a country wants to choose Classmates or EEEs, that's fine, we
> *still* want to help educate those children.

  Yes, I totally agree with this, and other sections on teacher
training and documentation, etc., etc.

>         * we should port to the other inexpensive laptops, if a country
>           decides to go with EEEs or Classmates, we should be in there
>           offering an EEE or Classmate-optimised Sugar + Activities +
>           Content that they can load onto those machines
>               o we should also port to the thin-client-style setups seen
>                 in e.g. Canonical's deployments of computing labs in the
>                 developing world

  It sounded in the article, though, that some countries have chosen
Classmates because of MS Windows.  How about porting parts of current
OLPC software that is worthwhile for Windows users?  What would such
parts be?

  And, I see that one of the biggest downside of our software is that
kids cannot participate the software development effort from their
laptops (except...).  If we are to look at different platforms, it is
nice to think about easy support of on-laptop-development.  I don't
care if it is on Windows or Mac OS; on top of Windows (or Mac OS), you
as an end-user can still do a lot.  (Basically the same argument in
"filtered Internet access is better than no Internet access".)

-- Yoshiki