GTK widgets in C# was: Re: WSJ

Torello Querci torello at torosoft.com
Mon Nov 26 16:47:44 EST 2007

Alle lunedì 26 novembre 2007, Scott Cytacki ha scritto:
> Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> > My C# friend wanted to rewrite the Sugar-specific GTK widgets from
> > Python to C, so they'd be available to all activities, regardless
> > of the language.
> >
> > I think he lacks time for this project, would anyone volunteer to
> > do it?
>
> Has any one tried using IronPython to use these widgets from within C#?
> As far as I can tell, the latest versions of mono run IronPython.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott

I tried using Mono alone without IronPython.  It can be used to write OLPC
specific widgets (such as the menubar using Hippo canvas, for which there's
no Mono binding), but not to write the application (in this case, use Python)

This week, I'll experiment to see whether to spend some time
rewriting this widget in C, so that both Python and C# can use it, or try the
IronPython approach.

At this time, I'm able to produce an activity bundle working with Sugar, but
the DBus integration doesn't work yet.

If you're interested in supporting Mono on the OLPC, I can create
a wiki where I'll put the code I've already written, because at this time I'm
working alone.

Best Regards,
Torello Querci