WSJ

Michael Burns maburns at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 20:32:50 EST 2007

James, you might have heard of this software, but I'll share for the rest of
the list that might not have seen in in the pipeline...

On Nov 25, 2007 4:33 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> +1, insightful, useful.  Some of the feedback mirrors what some of the
> recent Wiki questions have covered, and I agree, we seem to lack
> involvement in the Wiki from the trial deployments, the teacher
> training, and the software re-use groups.

It might not be the proper fit, but Mako's MikMik [0] wiki software should
go a long way to solving this problem. Essentially, it is using distributed
version control (via BZR. Similar to the linux kernel development process
with Git) and merging it with wiki software. With it, when teachers (or
Peruvian high school students) start to documenting their work (either for
lectures, coarse outlines or general tips on XO support, etc), those commits
to the school server's wiki software can trickle 'upstream' to regional,
country or global OLPC wikis for others to use and further edit. Even
Wikipedia article edits (a portion of which we include on the school
server's content library) could be filtered and vetted (or fast-tracked,
depending on user experience) from a grammar school in Peru all the way over
to the florida colo servers of the Wiki media foundation. But it is a
longer-term project to make a process like that streamlined.

With that software (or the future iterations a work flow that MikMik
allows), getting feedback from the deployments will be a natural part of the
process.

[0] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/MikMik

--
Michael Burns * Student