bilingual, multilingual et al.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 15:24:26 EST 2007

Ed, you and I are rather similar in our language and keyboard usage. I
have studied several languages, and have lived in Korea (Peace Corps)
and Japan (Buddhist training). I use Ubuntu with the Gnome keyboard
switcher and SCIM. I have worked on documents in English, Chinese,
Japanese, and Korean together, and on single-language documents in
French, German, Russian, Ukrainian, Armenian, Georgian, Greek,
Yiddish, and other languages. Not that I speak all of those languages,
but I can type and proofread to some extent, handle character set
conversions, and a little of this and that besides.

French accents on an English International keyboard are added with the
Compose key. So

Compose-`-e gives è
Compose-,-c gives ç

and so on. The KDE and Gnome keyboard switchers let the user set the
Compose key to be right ALT (AltGr), right CTL, either Win key, the
Menu key, or Caps Lock. AltGr is the default for the XO, but I use
Menu on Ubuntu.

I'll add a version of this to the Wiki page on Keyboards.

On Nov 24, 2007 1:43 AM, Ed Montgomery <edm at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking English as a native, French as second,
> Japanese as third, and a (light) smattering of others,
> I can also provide some feedback.  At the moment, I
> routinely make bilingual English/Japanese documents
> (although occasionally, to prevent problems with
> fonts, etc., I have resorted to producing them as jpeg
> images!!?? (mainly for online webpages, hence visible
> and readable with any browser capable of displaying
> images, regardless of fonts, etc....:-))  French
> accents can be a hassle when using an English only
> keyboard, etc.
>
> Currently using Ubuntu and SCIM, etc. most of the
> time, and using OpenOffice to produce the French XO
> manual.
>
> And mind you, I am using a typical U.S.
> laptop/computer keyboard, and do not have an XO and/or
> XO keyboard for hacking purposes...:-)  Hence, I
> currently use my standard keyboard with an XO livecd
> emulation.  Haven't played around with keyboard stuff
> to date.

Edward Cherlin
Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Earth_Treasury