Status of the OLPC

Michael Burns maburns at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 23:31:57 EST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 2:18 PM, Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu <chad-jm at hower.org> wrote:

> I've read what is on the web of course - but from reading messages here
> for
> a few days and also playing with some builds it seems that there is still
> fair bit of polishing left to do?

Depends on what you mean by 'polishing'. :)

Our ship code (one of the many milestones we have reached) is stable, works
quite well and is complete for what it tries to do. It doesn't fill all the
features we have planned for the 'Grand Scheme Of Things', but it a big
first step. Sharing activities works, discovering users works, mesh
networking works, applications run, websites load, pictures render, games
are fun and kids gravitate to the laptop without prompting. The hardware is
amazingly solid, reliable, efficient and environmentally friendly. The folks
at OLPC have made a great product, that will--even if they stopped writing
code today--go a long way toward changing the world.

Now, having said all that, OLPC has barely scratched the surface on the
features and abilities they want provide to the children that use this
laptop. Check out the Roadmap [0] that tracks some of the near- and
medium-future things developers will be working on.

Hope that answers your question. If you have others, please do ask. Cheers!

[0] http://dev.laptop.org/roadmap

--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab