Booting OLPC

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Thu Nov 22 12:23:22 EST 2007

Richard Smith wrote:
> Waqas Toor wrote:
>

>> There is a startup sound when we turn OLPC B4 machine on.
>> Is there any method to change or set this sound ... i was looking for
>> it but couldnt find any way to identify
>>

> No. Its not user changeable.  Its built into the firmware.  You would
> have to rebuild your firmware.

You can lower the volume of that sound by pressing the "volume down" key
(on the top row of the keyboard) when the boot firmware is running.  The
new setting will persist across reboots.

If you hold down that key for long enough, the volume will go down very
low, and when the volume is low enough, the firmware won't play the
sound at all.