Acoustic distance measurement applications

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Nov 21 12:00:43 EST 2007

  Ben and everybody,

  The multiple-click problem prevented me from trying the acoustic
distance measurement activity for a while, but finally I could do it
last night on 637.  Thi is pretty cool!

  This reminds me of a story I heard from my boss and I thought you
would be interested in it, too:

---------------------------
The graph activity was by some Physics professors at Tufts University,
including Ron Thornton (who has been a major figure in physics
education via computers since the Apple II). He has lots of stuff
online (but I couldn't find the specific reference for this work
(ca. 1990).

Basically, they found that a pre-test that would accurately predict
the final grade was apptitude at reading graphs.  Then they decided to
try teaching some of their students how to read graphs -- and one of
the main ways was to use a Polaroid camera range finder on the screen
of the computer and the student using whole body movement back and
forth to try to match different graphs on the screen: distance,
velocity, acceleration, etc. They reported that this worked very
well. We made a Hypercard version of this and tried it on children and
teachers and found it worked very well.
---------------------------

  Basically, looking at a graph and acting as a component or
derivative of the graph is a great way to improve physics "sense" and
it results in a better grade.  He thinks that using the "whole body"
instead of just finger tips is a key.  This would be a great match
with Acoustic Measure.

  For this purpose, perhaps the interval of noise should be
configurable and can be made shorter, and the read-out values should
be able to be used by other things like a graph drawing/showing
program.

  Also, have you thought about making an explanation for kids, perhaps
in the form of an "active essay"?  The current implementation is a bit
like a magic, and I bet many kids who try it would say: "it can
measure the distance because they are 'talking' to each other" or
something like that based on the "story mode" of thinking when asked
how it works.  A kid-accessible scientific explanation would be very
nice.  Since the essence of the measurement should be very, very small
(perhaps just one or lines, leaving all the details of binary sequence
and speed of sound variation), that would be a quite fun reading for
kids.

  Just my 2 yen.

-- Yoshiki