Msoffice on xo

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:40:48 EST 2007

Google docs is great; just thinking of those who might doubt the xo, if MS
office is in their long-term plans -- but I believe google is an excellent
way to learn office apps and would be glad to show any individual (or
education minister) who desires a demo. If such doubt exists, and they don't
feel that abiword or google docs is sufficient, the criticism evaporates if
ms office is made available remotely.

I asked an acquaintance whose organization maintains orphanages in asia,
africa and other places, and teaches kids to do web development, and other
forms of microbusiness; if I recall correctly, he was wanting to prepare the
kids with ms office, so the xo didn't seem like a viable option for him. As
abiword grows and develops, maybe it could also be a game, a proto work
skills training curriculum, chart a path of exploratory fun, starting in
abiword, ending in msoffice, and document it. ::ducks from rotten tomatoes::

i apologize ahead of time for the length of this reply (I'm honestly working
on it wish I knew how to send sms to email) -- but:

[
if 50% MS revenue = MS Office and
if "Microsoft sells what Google gives away for free"
then either some will lose their jobs (will Google hire?)
or hopefully MS' gaming revenue will cover it
so I hope they turn MS office into an XBox game
and then open source it
bring no one down; lift everyone up
]

before dismissing, think how well Wii has done outside 18-34 males. if I
were an xo game developer, I'd make friends with nintendo, since their
processors are easier to program and (I think) half the price of the PS3's
Cell, then I'd make a virtual world for kids, (and a 3d game mode for
abiword.)

--
Todd Kelsey

Good Green Fun: http://www.cftw.com/xoroids/

Willy Wonka Wonderful! - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:StartOfMP.jpg

Love Poem for people of Middle East: http://welcome.cftw.com

Tour of laptop | http://wiki.laptop.org/go/608-demo-notes

About Me/CFTW | http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en">
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en

Loving the World | http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbxftbn_36cx4kj7

"Fascinating for me to sit here and realize the interplay and influence that
music can have -- it is a part of my life, yet I haven't continued as I
could, partly out of thinking "there are more important things". but it has
it's place. i am sitting at olpc offices, and someone is playing pink floyd,
and I think music is a gift of creativity that can inspire an atmosphere of
creativity, and the range of such echoes is infinite." - Me

Free tunes by me: http://www.cftw.com/music