Msoffice on xo

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 23:12:29 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 20:10 -0600, tekelsey at gmail.com wrote:
> Would it be possible to set up an inexpensive data center in china, put an application server together, and serve windows xp and ms office (at the $3 educational pricing)

Remember that is $3 per user

> , and then serve them through VNC on the xo,

Yes it is possible

> treating it as a thin client, to address those in some countries who may feel it is important to have children learn ms office and windows for employment purposes?

Schools should be teaching the concept of word processing not a specific
word processor but that is as far as I will go with "throwing tomatoes".

>  or instead of a datacenter, make the school server an app server through Wine?

Why not just serve up open office?

> Alternatively, possible to ask sun to adapt open office for xo?

OO is way to big to run on the xo.  AbiWord is the basis of the Write
activity so it would be easy enough to run it on the xo.

The big question to ask is if you have any experience with education in
China or if this is just your perception of what China wants.