[sugar] ISOS server

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:35:11 EST 2007

Beautiful.

There's a couple of different hosting entities I'm contact with which may be
open to hosting. On scalability, what i suggest is that the easier to do
serve as a means to empower the harder to do (but more useful).

Sugar OS Lite (rich web app): Lets people try it out -- get a sense of what
the user experience is, maybe a couple of the games are ported over (or
flash games that run in gnash ok), plus you get to try some of the
collaborative stuff, if some flash remote server wizard can make a faux mesh
chat, maybe tic tac toe (duh - xoxoxo), modeled on the google desktop ap of
the same name. If someone from google is paying attention maybe ajax could
work, like a sugar ajax that also happens to be able to load google widgets
-- or if eric schmidt is within a few degrees of this email list -- maybe
they'd consider a sugar themed iGoogle. Or maybe wixy or stixy would play
ball. or maybe we're on our own.
THEN: when people play, they are given the chance to help "unlock" the real
version -- so whatever it takes, server space, development, whatever it is
-- people can donate to make it happen. donate time, money, whatever. I'd
donate.

Sugar Web OS: This would rock. Thanks so much for commenting on security
issues. Perhaps the charter for this could include *ensuring* that a team of
volunteers (or a set of paid hackers) is always there trying to break into
it, in order to beat other hackers to the punch. I suppose there's no way to
vet who is friendly, so maybe it is all open from the beginning, and you
don't launch until it is rock solid -- and maybe at that point there's some
institution that might step in and host, with their staff. I think that
people would donate in order to scale it out. Yahoo groups runs adverts to
cover scalability, but you can sponsor it to run ad free. So maybe ads from
friendly partner orgs would be acceptable, and someone could always donate
the whole thing.

will wikify

this is critical -- for allowing people to "try", if the security issues can
be addressed. an open question. another reason to do simulation, to start.
for most people, adequate for getting a sense of sugar os. ajax or flash, my
instincts tell me. or a contest between adobe and google. or both.