project idea: Interactive-Sugar-Online-Simulation (ISOS)

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 00:32:31 EST 2007

Wonderful!

Suggest: Making a wiki page on wiki.laptop.org, called ISOS - on a subtitle,
put "Interactive Sugar Online Simulation" without the dashes as a subtitle,
copy in information from email (without email addresses)
Great idea. Suggesting putting external links, investigating thoughts such
as these:
- wixi, swixi -- there are a couple of web 2.0 startups that are doing
things like this.  I think it's critical personally that someone would
develop a sugar os, web launchable platform.
- think about developing documentation to help make it easier for people to
install the vmware player -- investigate the build that is available for
simulating sugar OS -- ask around to see if it's possible to launch through
web services -- probably not
- search devel list archives for recent mention of parallels version of
player.
- look for existing page on emulators, emulation, see if it is possible to
make it more understandable to people, and if not, make a simplified
version, as a step towards the easy version for everyone.
- stage 1: suggest consider seeing if someone can make a flash-based
simulation, not as good as full OS -- but at least it is something. easy,
quick
- stage 2: fuller interactivity -- guessing that adobe flex, air, one of the
rich media application environments could work
- stage 3: holy grail -- full os simulation -- sugar os application server,
sugar os sitting on the back end, wonderful wonderful

And unless this is already habit for you (I need to learn it myself) --
publish early, publish often, meaning try to pick a day once a week (ex:
sunday), to put some notes on wiki page as to how things are going so
interested people can see how it goes.

On Nov 14, 2007 6:59 PM, Christoph Derndorfer <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just stumbled across a very interesting comment by Eduardo Montez over
> on OLPCnews.com
> (http://www.olpcnews.com/laptops/xo1/olpc_news_100_laptop_fundraising_drive.html
> ):
>
> "off topic: I just got an idea for showing people what Sugar can do.
> Some should put up an interactive web site where anyone can sign on for
> free, and all the people who are using it at any time would be the
> community and show up on the gui, connected through the server instead
> of the meshnetwork. That way people could experience the collaborative
> aspect of Sugar, which is its greatest innovation."
>
> I certainly think this is an outstanding idea, even though such an
> implementation is obviously anything but trivial.
>
> Such a virtual "Interactive-Sugar-Online-Simulation (ISOS)" could
> potentially act like one of those "web-operating-systems" that have
> become somewhat popular lately. It would basically allow for children
> who use a regular Windows PC to use at least some of the innovations and
> unique features that Sugar provides. So the requirement for being able
> to benefit from these outstanding developments would shift from "need to
> have an X0" to "need to have some computer with a browser and internet
> connectivity".
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards,
> Christoph

Todd Kelsey

Good Green Fun: http://www.cftw.com/xoroids/

Willy Wonka Wonderful! - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:StartOfMP.jpg

Love Poem for people of Middle East: http://welcome.cftw.com

Tour of laptop | http://wiki.laptop.org/go/608-demo-notes

About Me/CFTW | http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en ">
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en

Loving the World | http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbxftbn_36cx4kj7

"Fascinating for me to sit here and realize the interplay and influence that
music can have -- it is a part of my life, yet I haven't continued as I
could, partly out of thinking "there are more important things". but it has
it's place. i am sitting at olpc offices, and someone is playing pink floyd,
and I think music is a gift of creativity that can inspire an atmosphere of
creativity, and the range of such echoes is infinite." - Me

Free tunes by me: http://www.cftw.com/music