StopWatch activity

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Wed Nov 14 17:08:33 EST 2007

Eben Eliason wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 4:07 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 02:36:08PM -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
>>

>>> We still intend to incorporate that - the overhead of launching an
>>> activity is silly.
>>>
>> More precision would make this particular comment more helpful. How low
>> an overhead (in seconds and MB of RAM & IO) are we aiming for?  What are
>> we willing to spend to get there?
>>

> I'm talking, really, about interaction overhead.  In order to see the
> current time I should press a key, or make a gesture with the mouse,
> or something similar.  I shouldn't have to find the clock activity
> wherever that might be, click to launch it, wait for it do launch
> (however short that may be), and then close it again just to check the
> time.  I could leave it open all the time for later checking, of
> course, but I'd still have to perform this exercise every time I
> rebooted.  This kind of things should really be a system device as

I think the time should be in the sugar frame at a fixed location, so
anytime the frame is visible, the time is visible.   And perhaps if you
hover over it, you can see the date.  The Windows "System Tray" area at
the right of the task bar has a simple clock that works like that, and I
think it is a good design.  Unobtrusive, easy to see when you need it,
easy to get a bit more information.  Nothing fancy, just text that tells
you the time of day.