[PyCON-Organizers] OLPCs not considerate wireless users

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon Nov 12 12:31:58 EST 2007

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> I've noticed that mesh activity appears to be ALWAYS on.  Even when
> the laptop is not doing anything, as in not conected to a school/local
> mesh and not sharing any activity.  Sometimes even on Suspend mode I
> see the Wireless activity light flashing.  I'm sure this somehow
> drains batteries faster than it should and probably adds unnecessary
> traffic to a Wiresless network.

The reason the mesh is always on is so that XOs can server as routers to
propagate connectivity to other systems that may be far away.

This does impact battery life; by leaving your mesh on, you give up some
of your battery life to maintain network connectivity for your friends.

We need to address the problem of the mesh adversely affecting other
wireless users.  See http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4818