Notes on joyride-258 and 630

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Mon Nov 12 01:53:06 EST 2007

Dear @sugar and @devel,

We made two new builds tonight: joyride-258 and update1-630.

Joyride-258 appears to be worthy of your testing efforts.

Unfortunately, because rainbow-0.7.4 has not yet been tagged by the
release team for inclusion in update1, build 630 is not really suitable
for serious testing.

In the mean time, the things that I am really interested in knowing in
this build are:

  1) When you resume activities, do they come up with correct data?

  2) Does sound and video playback and recording work in your activity?

  3) When you attempt to join a shared activity, does it work? Does
     anything funky happen?

The answers to (1) and (2) are supposed to be 'yes' and 'yes'. If they
aren't, I'd really like to know about it.

I'm expecting the answers to (3) to be 'sometimes' and 'sometimes',
respectively. If you document well, we will hopefully get any problems
here worked out in short order.

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. - Here's what was immediately apparent to me as I attempted a clean
start of each activity in joyride-258. Note to cjb / other interested
parties: it would rock if Tinderbox could collect this level of
information automatically.

Notes:

  First, Write and all the MaMaMedia activities appear to be broken by a
  failing attempt to 'import abiword' that kills all these activities as
  they start. Whoever is supposed to be supplying that 'abiword' python
  package needs to fix his or her RPM.

  Second, Record appears to be unable to play back sound. It complains
  of errors trying to write files due to lack of space. I will speculate
  about the cause: we are now equipping activities with a 1 MB tmpfs. If
  Record is attempting to put any large data into
  $SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/tmp, it's writes will likely fail. People for
  whom having a 1MB tmpfs is a problem should explain what they're
  trying to do on the mailing list and we'll work out something
  reasonable.

  Third, MaMaMedia's 'MaMaMediaMenu' activity fails to launch because
  on the sugar Bundle object that it is manipulating on line 69 of
  MaMaMediaMenu.py has no attribute named 'get_service_name'.

  Finally, screen rotation is spectacularly broken. I have no idea as to
  why. Reported by bemasc.

P.S. - Kim - I'll stick these in trac just as soon as I have access to a
usable web browser.