[sugar] secure /tmp and /var/tmp

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 12:57:26 EST 2007

On 11/8/07, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:

> In some cases though it's better to break than to keep a fake
> compatibility with something which is designed for a different use
> case. That way the error is explicit and the activity author knows it
> needs to be fixed. And I agree with Ivan that this is the case for
> /tmp.

The XO /tmp is **exactly** like a SunOS /tmp. It's in RAM.
Well, one difference: it was common to have only 8 MB.

There is nothing new here. The XO is not special.

Understand that each and every #ifdef is a despised wart that
makes code less maintainable. I know it isn't YOUR code.
Please be considerate of other people's code.

BTW, it's not as if running out of RAM will fail to alert the
author. There is no problem here. One can just as well
have trouble with malloc or severe recursion.