[sugar] secure /tmp and /var/tmp

Marcus Leech mleech at nortel.com
Thu Nov 8 11:38:44 EST 2007

Jim Gettys wrote:

> Heh.  You are way too young....
>
> The presumption has always been you'd better keep things in /tmp pretty
> small; that's why the distinction between /tmp and /var/tmp was made.
> It allowed people to use RAM file systems for speed long before it would
> have otherwise been feasible.
>                             - Jim

These kids who think that 256M of physical ram is *small*  :-)

My first Unix machine had 128K of MOS memory, and we supported about
10-15 interactive users on it at a time, with a 30M
  disk drive that was the size of a washing machine.  Having /tmp in RAM
was a newfangled thing that came along later, but
  with 30M of physical disk there, /tmp had to be small anyway!