when an xo loses connection, how long does it take to disappear from other's neighbor view?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 04:52:01 EST 2007

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 at 13:36:45 -0500, Giannis Galanis wrote:
> I can definitely try to arrange this. But, can you please send me the
> tarball to test it in the mean time?

Will do.

> I don't think it's feasible to implement correct handling of PS restarts in
> > sugar.presence for Update.1, so unless the release engineering team
> > specifically tell me to, I won't be addressing that bug until a later
> > release.
>
> Ok, i will reassign the bug to presenceservice. As long as restarting sugar
> works, we can stick to that for now.

No, it's not a Presence Service bug, it's a Sugar bug (the sugar.presence
module is part of Sugar, and it's that module that will have to be changed).
Please assign to component Sugar, with owner smcv or morgs, and keep the
'collaboration' keyword (we use that to keep track of collaboration-related
bugs in other people's components).

> $getent hosts jabber.laptop.org
>      2001:4830:2446:ff00:201:6cff:fe07:68ec jabber.laptop.org   <-----
> frequent reply
>      18.85.46.41     jabber.laptop.org  <----------rare reply
>
> $ping jabber.laptop.org
>      PING jabber.laptop.org (18.85.46.41) 56(84) bytes of data.
>      64 bytes from jabber.laptop.org (18.85.46.41): icmp_seq=1 ttl=63 time=
> 67.4 ms
>
> $telnet jabber.laptop.org 5222
>      blabla... connected
> hello
>      replied with an xml packet with "xml-not-well-formed" included
>
> so it seems that it is a PS issue. Perhaps it is not waiting long enough, or
> doesnt make enough tries when trying to connect. I have reassigned the bug
> to presenceservice.

Was all this done on a machine exhibiting the failure you mention?

PS makes an unlimited number of connection attempts, with a short
delay between each one (we should probably change this to use an
exponential backoff process so the delays get longer as you're offline
for longer, up to a maximum of perhaps 10 minutes).

> What I meant here is, Does the PS check if jabber server is accessible, and
> then runs telepathy-gabble?, or this is one of the tasks of
> telepathy-gabble?, which as I see you replied to

Like I said, the PS doesn't check whether the server is accessible, it
just optimistically tries to connect anyway. I believe this is the right
thing to do.

> have you tried to check connecting to gabble with the laptops available
> there? Does it work fine?

Not recently with XOs, I must admit (downloading filesystem images takes
a while) but it's always worked fine from my jhbuild.

> Perhaps you can connect to an XO here with ssh, and debug real time what is
> exactly happening.

Talk to me on #sugar when you have an Internet-accessible XO that's
exhibiting this problem. I'm smcv on IRC.

> it was suggested (i think bug 4700) that it is possible that the jabber
> server might have a limit in number of users. Is this possible?

It's possible, but it's always worked for me...

    Simon