OLPC & Amharic

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Nov 5 16:38:43 EST 2007

(cc devel@)

Jérémie Hornus wrote:

> I assume XKB is the software used to handle various keyboard
> mappings.

Exactly.

> I was more thinking of key sequences to get given Ethiopic
> characters.

This would be the "Compose" file used by libX11 for XIM
(X Input Method).

The file is here:

 /usr/share/X11/locale/am_ET.UTF-8

We can also use the GTK IM for Amharic, which is somewhat better.

> Beside, while sitting here and looking at the keyboard image
> (wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=OLPC_Ethiopia_Keyboard&oldid=69544)
> I have to admit that quite a few choices still puzzle me; they seem,
> at first glance, going against thoughtful intentions of the EICTDA
> document. Again, it is difficult to argue without knowledge of the
> envisaged typing method.

The XIM compose rules were written by Sergey Udaltsov (on cc)

We got an Amharic professor from Harvard check the keyboard layout
and compose method.  I think she told us that both looked fine, but
I may be mistaken.

If you know someone who could explain to us how we could further
improve the Amharic support, I'll put this person in contact with
the others.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/