Spreadsheets

Don Hopkins dhopkins at DonHopkins.com
Thu May 31 14:37:25 EDT 2007

I would love to see something like Geometer's Sketchpad (based on ideas
from Ivan Sutherland's original Sketchpad) on the OLPC.

http://www.dynamicgeometry.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sketchpad

"Sketchpad was a revolutionary computer program written by Ivan
Sutherland in 1963 in the course of his PhD thesis. It helped change the
way people interact with computers. Sketchpad is considered to be the
ancestor of modern computer-aided drafting (CAD) programs as well as a
major breakthrough in the development of computer graphics in general.
Ivan Sutherland demonstrated with it that computer graphics could be
utilized for both artistic and technical purposes in addition to showing
a novel method of human-computer interaction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometer%27s_Sketchpad

"The Geometer's Sketchpad is a popular commercial interactive geometry
software program for exploring Euclidean geometry, algebra, calculus,
and other areas of mathematics. It was created by Nicholas Jackiw. It is
designed to run on Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 or later and Mac OS 8.6
or later (including Mac OS X). It also runs on Linux under Wine with few
minor bugs.

Geometer's Sketchpad includes the traditional Euclidean tools of
classical Geometric constructions; that is, if a figure (such as the
pentadecagon) can be constructed with compass and straight-edge, it can
also be constructed using this program. However, the program also allows
users to employ transformations to "cheat," creating figures impossible
to construct under the traditional compass-and-straight-edge rules (such
as the regular nonagon)."

    -Don