owner id in .sugar/default/

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed May 16 06:50:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 15:36, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 01:05 -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> > Is the owner.key/owner.key.pub pair, located at /home/olpc/.sugar/
> > default/ maintained across system updates ?   (To do so, it would
> > have to be stored in the SPI flash)
> >
> > If not, when is this feature expected?
>
> It's expected to get backed up to the server and written back the kids
> XO when it gets reflashed.  At least that was the plan.  I don't think
> we ever talked about putting it in the SPI flash.

I don't think that this plan can work well: it's the key for (re)storing the
backup. Without it, it's impossible to know which backup to restore / to
decrypt the backup :-) (Depending of what kind of key it is..)

An option would be to use the mac address to identify the laptop. But without
an encryption key (which is stored in flash), anybody can request a backup.
And the mac addresses are floating in the air...

regards,
	Holger