Network association algorithm

Javier Cardona javier at cozybit.com
Mon May 14 00:08:05 EDT 2007

Dan, John,

The patch linked below modifies dhclient to override the broadcast
address of a network interface with an anycast address.  This option
is configured in dhclient.conf with the new directive anycast-mac :

interface "msh0" {
  anycast-mac ethernet c0:27:c0:27:c0:27;
}

When that option is present, all DHCP broadcast traffic out of msh0
will be sent to the anycast-mac address.  The IP address is left
unchanged (i.e. 255.255.255.255), which avoids having to change
anything on the dhcp server side.  We tested it with a vanilla dhcp
server running on the MPP(s).

Let me know if you would like me to package this in an RPM or if there
is anything special that needs to be done to integrate this with NM.

Cheers,

Javier

The patch:  https://cozybit1.dnsalias.org/~javier/patches/dhclient-3.0.5-anycast.patch

--