Network association algorithm

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Tue May 1 20:28:25 EDT 2007

Dan,
   I'm pretty sure that the attached flowchart documents the network
association algorithm developed in today's meeting.

There are four end conditions, in rough order of desirability:
1. The XO finds an established MPP (w. DHCP), and uses it for
internet access.
2. The XO finds an AP, and becomes an ad-hoc MPP (no DHCP)
3. The XO finds an ad-hoc MPP (no DHCP), and uses it for internet access
4. The XO finds no AP nor MPP, and becomes a mesh node on channel 1
w. no internet access

It has already been pointed out that for optimum performance, we will
eventually want to
randomly prefer end condition 3 over condition 2.

Cheers,
wad