rsync benchmarking

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Jun 28 13:41:41 EDT 2007

On 6/28/07, Ivan Krstić <ivan at laptop.org> wrote:
> regardless of how large it is. Scott fixes this by externally
> breaking down the tree into smaller chunks and then rsyncing those
> individually, such that the memory consumption during any particular
> rsync operation remains relatively small.

This has a nice synergy in that the hash of the top-level manifest is
all that is required to authenticate the entire directory tree.
(That's a Merkle hash, for those playing along at home.)

Ivan: is the format of the antitheft server's response documented
somewhere?  If so, we should throw in the top-level hash along with
the relative url; this will save an extra authentication step since
the hash can be signed along with the rest of the antitheft response.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )