usage of usb sticks on the laptops

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Thu Jun 28 05:30:10 EDT 2007

Hi all,

we've recently added support for usb sticks in the datastore and the
journal activity and I'm a bit worried about the kids pulling out the
stick before the data has been fully written into the stick.

Perhaps we'll need to do the same as is done everywhere and notify when
a device that needs to be safely unmounted is mounted, and "complain" to
the user when the stick is removed unsafely.

But I wanted to ask first to more knowledgeable people if there's any
way to reduce this problem, for example by mounting the sticks with the
mount option 'sync'. Perhaps in some cases (small drives) we can
exchange the perf hit for a bit more of safety.

Thanks,

Tomeu