rsync benchmarking

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 03:55:37 EDT 2007

On 6/28/07, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
> I wrote a quick ~60 line script to do non-recursive rsync a directory
> at a time.  Actually, it's a little smarter than that: it generates
> manifests for each directory, and syncs the tree by first syncing the
> root (and the root's manifest).  It then checks the directory hashes
> in the roots manifest against the current contents of the directory's
> manifest, and recurses only if they don't meet (ie, if the directory
> has been updated).

rsync itself does all of that, and it's pretty efficient at it. Oh - I
see, your optimisation is to declare a hash of the top-level directory
and exchange that first, and only recurse if they differ (like git
does).

Hmmm. Wouldn't that be a good enhancement to rsync itself? Perhaps
there are a few such patches to rsync in existence already...?