System update spec proposal

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 13:50:19 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 12:26 -0400, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:

> That said, I would be more comfortable if the fallback included a way
> for the laptop to check a well-known machine every X period (e.g. in
> Ivan's proposal) and if there's no locally discovered source, use a
> publicly available source as the HTTP source by default

I think that you're talking about the mail from Scott, not Ivan.  And I
think that we'll do something like that, yeah.  That's one of the
easiest parts of the update system.  (Also one of the worst mistakes if
you get it wrong ala the "Hour of Terror":
http://www.justdave.net/dave/2005/05/01/one-hour-of-terror/ but that's
beside the point.)

--Chris