System update spec proposal

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 26 23:59:22 EDT 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 11:46 PM, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> I suspect that we won't
> need to hack rsync ourselves at all, since rsync 3.0 will Do What We
> Want

I understood rsync 3.0 is smart about breaking up file list
generation into smaller chunks to be better about memory usage, but
that's orthogonal to the pregenerated-mmaped-file-list optimization.
The former helps memory consumption, but you're still needlessly stat
()ing static data left and right. Although, again, our updates are
sufficiently small that I expect the stat() calls to just be hitting
the VFS cache and not actually cost us much of anything.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D