System update spec proposal

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Jun 26 22:30:37 EDT 2007

Ivan,

 > thanks for chiming in. Do you (or Wayne) think that given the state
 > of rsync 3.0 _right now_, it's more promising to pursue that or rsync
 > 2.x?

I'll need to leave Wayne to comment on the state of rsync 3.0. That
branch started after I stopped contributing to rsync.

I can tell you that breaking up the sync into multiple directories
will help a lot with rsync 2.x. It will still stat() every file, so
still will make the server sweat, but won't use nearly as much memory.

The mmap file list change would be great as it would get rid of the
stat() calls on the server as well, but thats involves a non-trivial
amount of development. If I had a couple of days free I could scope it
out and see what gotchas are involved, but right now I don't :(

Cheers, Tridge