System update spec proposal

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 26 22:02:37 EDT 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 9:44 PM, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Coding/testing this takes time though :(

I'm curious: would it be easier if we had rsync write out the in-
memory file list to disk after a successful request (named, as you
proposed, after a hash of the options), and to simply monkeypatch the
file list generation routine to check whether there's a matching on-
disk list before agreeing to generate one from scratch? Seems like it
might be a pretty simple hack for someone who's familiar with rsync,
but then I have little knowledge of rsync internals. I also suspect
it might not be a total hack -- anyone serving large trees that
change relatively infrequently could benefit from the functionality.

Cheers,

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D