mesh network vs broadcast/multicast question

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 16:49:40 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 16:07 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > [...]  We are letting users manually "search" for friends, which is
> > a fairly lengthy process that involves jumping to each channel,
> > searching for friends and activities using mDNS, then to the next
> > channel [...]
>
> Does this mean that one needs a school server/bridge in order to talk
> to two differently-channeled friends ?

Yes.  You must spread the XOs between channels to maximize the overall
system bandwidth, but you can't directly talk to people on different
channels because only have one actual radio.  Most places have APs
connected with ethernet on the backhaul, and so in the office or
wherever, they are already bridging between wired & wireless for you.

Dan