XO in-field upgrades

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 13:05:17 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 12:25 -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On 6/25/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Most of the stuff that Alex has done is (carefully) independent of any
> > vserver or container discussion.  Specifically, the update system in
> > question could be applied inside of a container as easy as it would be
> > outside of the container.
>
> I not sure I agree that the filesystem portion of the implementation
> ought to be completely independent of the network portion.  I think
> that networking desiderata are going to impact our choices among the
> various upgrade schemes, and I'd prefer to have a high level design
> for the whole thing before we get too attached to particular bits of
> code.  As one example, since network reliability goes down quickly as
> message size increases, it seems (to me, at least) that our upgrade
> data messages should be made as small as possible.  It's not clear to
> me that our current design minimizes upgrade transfer size.
>
> > Re: broadcast, that's basically the same as any laptop exposing presence
> > information.  For _transmission_ of an update, it's an interesting
> > question as to whether or not to use a multicast update kind of thing.
>
> Do laptops usually wake each other up to process presence information?
> [Hopefully not.] Should they do so for urgent security upgrades?
> [Hopefully.]
>
> Here's a draft proposal:
> We listen to multicast address  foo:bar:xxx:xxx:<n + 1> if we
> currently have version # n installed on the machine.  Then we won't be
> woken up by our friends announcing that they have version n like we
> do, but we will be woken up as soon as someone gets version n+1.
>
> On 6/25 Alex L wrote:
> > mDNS *is* multicast. But the blobs won't be exposed over mDNS, that is
> > far to much data for a protocol like that.
>
> Really?  Do we know that?  What's a typical 0-day patch look like?
> Have we tried to see how few bits it could be squashed into?

No, stuffing actual update data into the mDNS TXT records is completely
impractical.  First off, you're limited by UDP packet size, and I'm sure
our updates are going to be larger than 512 bytes (even with UDP packet
sizes up to the MTU).

mDNS never carries actual _data_, it carries a service description about
the data.  The data itself is always out-of-band WRT mDNS.

Dan