Announcing the Updatinator

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 11:31:37 EDT 2007

I've been doing some more work on the update system I posted about last
week. The code is now availible in git, and there is a webpage
describing a bit of how it works:

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/updatinator/

Its got some tools for working with manifest files (written in C) and a
python application that downloads new updates it finds and sends a dbus
message when data for an upgrade has finished downloading. There is also
a minimal http server that can run on the laptops so that you can update
from another laptop.

There is some work left before this is really usable:
* Test cases for upgrading of all sorts of files
* Handle GPG signing of manifests
* testing and bugfixing
* We need a system for actually applying the update safely on the laptop
 (proposed solutions include using vserver, or implementing transactions
  in jffs2)
* Get this into the laptop so that when we got data for an upgrade we
  can trigger the update (be it via a ui or on next boot/suspend, or
  whatever)

However, it does work in the sense that you can run it on a normal
machine and have it populate a directory with blobs required for updates
as newer versions appear on the network.