XO in-field upgrades

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 09:24:12 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 12:44 -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> Has this already been discussed in more depth off-list?  I'd prefer to
> get the relevant folks together for a quick f2f, since it seems like a
> number of different groups are involved (networking, security, XO
> build), but I can post a more detailed critique if we want to continue
> the discussion on list instead.

It's been discussed a little bit off-list but not to extreme depths.
Most of the stuff that Alex has done is (carefully) independent of any
vserver or container discussion.  Specifically, the update system in
question could be applied inside of a container as easy as it would be
outside of the container.

Re: broadcast, that's basically the same as any laptop exposing presence
information.  For _transmission_ of an update, it's an interesting
question as to whether or not to use a multicast update kind of thing.
But one step at a time - that's the kind of thing that we can add later
once we show that we can get actual updates working.

--Chris