Language support

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 04:58:01 EDT 2007

To what extent has language support on the XO been tested? I recall
that there was a bug in the XO boot sequence where it could not accept
letters with tildes such as ñ.

We need at least

English
French (official in Rwanda)
Brazilian Portuguese, e.g. ãõàèìçê
Spanish, where ll is traditionally one letter, as is ch.
Libyan Arabic (Significantly different from Arabian Arabic, and with
major differences even within Libya)
Kinyarwanda
Hausa/هَوُسَ (Latin and Arabic both?)
Igbo
Yoruba (èdè Yorùbá), e.g.
Á À Ā É È Ē Ẹ / E̩ Ẹ́ / É̩ Ẹ̀ / È̩ Ẹ̄ / Ē̩ Í Ì Ī Ó Ò Ō Ọ / O̩ Ọ́/ Ó̩
Ọ̀ / Ò̩ Ọ̄ / Ō̩ Ú Ù Ū Ṣ / S̩
á à ā é è ē ẹ / e̩ ẹ́ / é̩ ẹ̀ / è̩ ẹ̄ / ē̩ í ì ī ó ò ō ọ / o̩ ọ́ / ó̩
ọ̀ / ò̩ ọ̄ / ō̩ ú ù ū ṣ / s̩
Thai?

in the coming year, and probably others. "The major languages spoken
in Nigeria are Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Efik, Adamawa, Fulfulde,
Idoma, and Central Kanuri."--Wikipedia. There are more than 500 living
languages in Nigeria.

I have friends who can test most of the languages I listed, and we can
find native speakers of the others in the US as well as the target
countries. I can exercise the keyboard layouts fully and help if more
layouts are needed, as seems to be the case.

--
Edward Cherlin
Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit