#1721 NORM Trial-2: Standardize keyboard shortcuts

Fredrik Roubert roubert at google.com
Thu Jun 21 07:54:21 EDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> > What is wrong with CTRL, SHIFT, ALT GR, and FN as both the preprinted
> > names on the keys, and the way that documentation, text, menus,
> > control panels refer to these keys?
>
> For one thing, these are English. Assuming you're a native speaker
> you might not realize how hard it is for speakers of other languages
> to derive any meaning from those labels.

I can't remember how many times I've told people in Sweden, who speak
good English and are used to computers, that CTRL actually means
something and just isn't a random combination of letters. A lof of
people just haven't been able to figure that out for themselves, so
apparently it's not very obvious for non-native English speakers.

--
Fredrik Roubert
roubert at google.com