Panorama activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:46:48 EDT 2007

> > I had a much simpler idea: overlay the previous frame on the video
> field, offset
> > by the desired amount (say, 70%).  This is what many consumer digicams
> do in
> > panorama mode, including my cell phone.  It is then obvious to the user
> to turn
> > the screen until the overlaid image aligns with the camera
> output.  Based on the
> > Video Chat/Virtual Whiteboard mockups, it seems like we have accelerated
> alpha
> > on top of video on the LX, but I don't know this for sure...

This method doesn't really require transparency to function, if it becomes
CPU intensive.  The "edge" is the most important part, so we can do an
opaque overlay without sacrificing too much functionality. Obviously you can
infer more data about the rotation (about the center of the image), which
could accumulate and make the last-to-first stitch impossible, but since it
can sit on a table or rock and swivel, this might not be a big concern.

- Eben