Panorama activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:49:11 EDT 2007

Ben -
That's a lot of shots.  Can you do some tests to determine the minimal
required number that still produces decent stitches?  Would 25% overlap be
sufficient?  We could try to indicate the angle for the next photo with
icons, but I feel like 8 shots or so is the maximum we could require before
the icons looked nearly the same in any 3 adjacent positions.

Here's another thought....I know this is probably pushing things a lot on
our little machine, but how long would a single diff take to determine the
angle between a previously taken photo and a newly taken one.  I envision
snapping the first photo 'A' in the sequence, and then having onscreen
instructions tell the kid to 'swivel to the right'.  Then, if you could grab
a still every second in the background while she swivels, lets say, and
determine its overlap with the previous photo A, we could switch the
onscreen controls to indicate 'stop here and take photo B' and so on, with
live feedback.  If they move too fast and you can't find any overlap, we can
switch and say 'swivel back to the left.'

Depending on the speed you can do this at, we could even have a little
horizontal "meter" with a ball in it, and they just have to get the ball to
the center, like a level, to line up the next shot.  It wouldn't be smooth,
but at least it would be obvious.

What do you think?

- Eben