Power Management

Kent Quirk kent_quirk at cognitoy.com
Fri Jun 8 10:35:59 EDT 2007

Is there a mechanism for either applications or users to change the
parameters? And what constitutes "idle"?

In particular, I'm thinking about the book reader. If you're sitting
around under a tree reading, and you're not a particularly fast reader
or you get distracted, it could get really annoying to have the display
keep turning off.

Similarly, turn-based games over the mesh might have you waiting while
your opponent moves, and you might not be sitting there tapping the
keyboard while waiting.

I think an aggressive set of defaults is a good idea, but both
individuals and applications may want the ability to tweak them.

    Kent

Richard Hughes wrote:
> I'm thinking about system power management interactions for the OLPC. Sofar I've got:
> • When system idle for > 10 seconds and on battery we dim screen to 40%• When system idle for > 30 seconds we turn the screen off• When system idle for > 1 minute we suspend, assuming we have noinhibits and CPU load is low• When AC removed reduce brightness by 20%• When battery power < 10% turn of wireless• When battery power < 2% then shutdown• When the lid is closed then turn off screen and suspend• When battery power < 30% and not on AC then tell applications to uselow power mode (low quality video, only essential tasks)• When the power button is pressed then save state and shutdown (weprobably should hibernate... can we do this yet?)• If we interrupt the screen dim or power-off, then the time to dim isdoubled (task)• If we are inhibited (system update) we do not auto-suspend• If the ambient brightness is very high (outside mode), switch thepanel into reflective mode

Kent Quirk           I'm making a game about global warming.
Game Architect                        Track the progress at:
CogniToy                http://www.cognitoy.com/meltingpoint