[GIT PULL] White background with OLPC logo

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jun 5 11:28:06 EDT 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:

> This hasn't a whelk's chance in a supernova of going upstream,

Why?  The bright color theme patch is nicely configurable
and generally useful on any platform.

The OLPC logo is of course our's but the kernel already
carries a dozen of logos for several platforms and
provides a nice infrastructure to add new ones.

If you tell me you like what the patches do in the first
place, I will try to push them to the fb maintainer myself.
But something tells me you'd encounter less resistance
than me if you tried.

> and we should be very wary about merging it.

Have a look at the diffs: the patches are minimally
invasive and only touch things that don't change often.
The color table was never changed since Linus imported
the kernel in Git.

I'm sure the olpc-2.6 tree already carries a number
of patches that are more cumbersome, less acceptable
for upstream, or both.

> It's not
> as if these machines should actually be rebooting
> very often during normal operation anyway.

Hopefully, yes.  However, the boot sequence is the
very first thing the user sees when they turn on the
laptop for the first time.

And if you have shown the laptop to some muggles,
you'll surely noticed their expressions change
when they see our 80's fashioned text console in
an otherwise cute green laptop.

I always need to justify it with some excuse such as
"err... this is to help us debugging the system,
it's not really meant for the end user".

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/