Gnash snapshot with video support

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 01:51:19 EDT 2007

424's not stable, so wait until I can test it on 406...

In general the lack of standard test cases (how to time how long
something takes, how to measure fps, what pages and videos to use for
a consistent test across builds) makes it hard to analyze what flash
works well.  I can imagine an escalating series of test cases that
work through the basic functionalities in everything from flash 3 to
flash 9 without video, using various popular features, and also
flavors of flash video... in combination with a default pref that
turns off autoloading of flash -- something we need in any case -- one
could walk through a list of flash objects on a page loading and
stopping them in turn until one stops working properly.

on 424: the browser w/gnash doesn't start playing youtube videos at
all; there's a 90-second lag while it figures out how to render the
video area, followed by gray.

On 6/2/07, Rob Savoye <rob at welcomehome.org> wrote:
> Samuel Klein wrote:
>
> > You might want to make it clearer on that page which downloads are for
> > what purpose; and the last two links aren't working for me.
>
>   Done. I added an explanation, removed the older snapshot, and added
> links to two web pages we use for testing in the Gnash community.
> Hopefully it's clearer now these are just my own snapshots for people to
> play with, especially if they'd like to use video.
>
> > I got lulu.tv to load on a B2 running build 424; it managed to load a
> > video, but not to play more than a few seconds... thrashed for a
> > while, then the browser crashed.
>
>   424 ? Guess I need to upgrade again...
>
> > I'll try it with a 406 build tomorrow.  We could use a well-defined
> > test procedure for speed and usability -- and a way built into gnash
> > to identify what version is running, to know that it has been
> > installed correctly.
>
>   You can get the version info from either the command line using "gnash
> --version", or the About box, which under the web activity is found via
> the right mouse click menu.
   ^^^^^^^^^

got it, thanks.  SJ