XOs interacting with general computers (was: Devel Digest, Vol 17, Issue 52)

Michael Rueger michael at sophieproject.org
Wed Jul 25 12:01:05 EDT 2007

elw at stderr.org wrote:

thank you for your thoughtful answer!

> I'll say it again.. I think that it is important to protect kids, but
> probably MORE important to make sure that 'protection' isn't cutting
> them off from flexibility and the opportunity to gain new educational
> experiences.

Couldn't agree more :-)

I think a critical point is to make sure they get at least the chance to
learn responsible/safe behavior first.
An approach I've seen at schools in the US was that they taught the kids
what to do/not to do, but then basically allowed unrestricted access.
Unfortunately these days that approach can land you in jail in certain
US states.

Having the school/teacher as an intermediary/safe guard could be an
approach. As you wrote, the decision about access needs to be made in
the local context including aspects/variables that we probably don't
have the faintest idea about.

Michael